The CSD2014 Conference ‘Organised Crime in Conflict Zones’ will take place on the 6th of March, 2014. Organised by postgraduate students from the Conflict, Security and Development (CSD) programme at King’s College London (KCL) and supported by the War Studies Department, the conference will be held at the Great Hall of the Strand Campus.
The one-day event will focus on transnational organised crime, a multi-billion pound global business and an area of growing international concern. The programme will address the conflict-crime nexus and focus on three key areas of organised crime. These are drug trafficking, terrorist criminality and human trafficking. The conference objective is to address gaps in policy and scholarship, and to encourage research into this subject of growing relevance.
The event will benefit from contributions of leading policymakers, practitioners and academics in the field. Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr. Mark Shaw, Director of Communities, Crime and Conflicts at STATT Consulting as well as Director of The Global Initiative Against Transnational Organised Crime. Dr. Shaw previously held many postings at the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- Professor Mats Berdal, Professor of Security and Development at the War Studies Department of King’s College London.
- Charlie Edwards, Senior Research Fellow and Director of National Security and Resilience Studies at the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI).
- Parosha Chandran, award winning human rights barrister at 1 Pump Court Chambers in London and co-founder of the Trafficking Law and Policy Forum. She was selected as one of the most influential lawyers in the UK by ‘The Time’s Law Panel’.
- Nigel Inkster, Director of Transnational Threats and Political Risk at the International Institute of Strategic Studies (IISS) and Chairman of the World Economic Forum’s Committee on Terrorism.
The total of 14 speakers will address the root causes of organised crime, connections to conflict, strategic responses and forward-looking policy implications.
For more information on the conference and our speakers, please visit our website at: http://csd2014.wordpress.com/speakers-profiles/
Preferential rates are available for students, to purchase tickets please go to http://bit.ly/1eNMmaY
For any queries please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org