- Updated: #TwitterFightClub monitor with the bracket I'm judging – http://t.co/VXfHkqAH
- This is how I'll be judging #TwitterFightClub – http://t.co/wHWV8bzC
- The CyberWar Daily is out! http://t.co/FIqoCVVR ? Top stories today via @quadling
- That problem never lasts long – RT @intelwire Black market for weapons nearly depleted, smugglers to Syria say http://t.co/dlqbVFbD
- Hackers release sexy picture of brunette in her underwear sent to Syrian dictator Bashar #Assad http://t.co/LESIexV1 #AssadEmails
- Happy #StPatricksDay everyone. No green #beer for me though http://t.co/klukleHW
- RT @tweetsintheME So, about those #BokoHaram talks: http://t.co/Z0apFfSk
- RT @opsbone BBC News – Licence to Kill: When governments choose to assassinate http://t.co/iDwMQEuD
- RT @DaveedGR Arab diplomat tells AFP that Saudi Arabia is sending military equipment to the Syrian rebels http://t.co/zqdLdZxe
- My earlier post on the Nir Rosen – #AssadEmails story has been updated with his response – http://t.co/ttIoL944
- The CyberWar Daily is out! http://t.co/FIqoCVVR
- RT @andrewchappelle Update: Freed hostage says he was formerly a U.S. soldier who returned to #Iraq in a civilian capacity.
- MT @andrewchappelle Soldier's name is apparently Randy Michael or Randy Michael Hill. U.S. prev said no more missing troops in #Iraq
- RT @andrewchappelle Who in the world is this U.S. soldier the Sadr movement has just 'released'? #Iraq
- MT @jeremyscahill I guarantee there are a lot of emails from a lot of journalists to a lot of govs that, if leaked, would not be flattering.
- The Blogs of War Watchlist is out! http://t.co/pya29086 ? Top stories today via @AfghanistanBRK @RobDuBois @taylor_owen
- Updated: monitor tracking the Nir Rosen – #AssadEmails controversy – http://t.co/R8il8uwb #Syria
- RT @azelin al-Shab?b Responds to Omar Hammami's YouTube Video http://t.co/H10CsgY3 #jihadology
- Updated: Bashar #Assad ThreatStream – better tracking of the #AssadEmails story – http://t.co/xMlmoMr1 #Syria
- MT @nirrosen The allegations about me are completely untrue. I will be responding in a longer format in 24 hours when I am back online
- RT @MEVHutch #syria 2 blasts hit Syria capital, state news agency says – The Associated Press http://t.co/E0ILEl1N
- New: Iranian Nuclear Facility ThreatStream – http://t.co/kcKZISQT – Monitoring tweets about 15 #nuclear sites in #iran
- Updated: #Iran widescreen monitor – http://t.co/4vlz2auB
- MT @MiriamElder How one man escaped from a #NorthKorea prison camp http://t.co/yQKUW8ie
- New ThreatStream – Monitoring Nir Rosen and Khaled Al Ahmad – http://t.co/R8il8uwb
- MT @evgenymorozov Page 1 of the email alleging Nir Rosen had contact with Assad's people http://t.co/fU4LIe58 (scroll to the bottom)
- Lots of reaction to the Bashar #Assad emails on the ThreatStream – http://t.co/xMlmoMr1
- RT @will_mccants Ignatius given sneak peak of new UBL docs being released http://t.co/444kAl3Z
- The CyberWar Daily is out! http://t.co/FIqoCVVR ? Top stories today via @CyberCrimeNEWS @EvilFingers
- MT @BBCWorld US warns #NorthKorea satellite plans will harm resumption of food aid http://t.co/ohFhj4e8
- Good luck with that – RT @AJELive Annan renews call for UN unity on #Syria http://t.co/Z66KOgAn
- #TwitterFightClub monitor – http://t.co/VXfHkqAH
- The Blogs of War Watchlist is out! http://t.co/pya29086 ? Top stories today via @KareemLailah @MEVHilleary
- New: #Turkey Monitor – focus on gov/mil/intel/security and relations with #iran #Syria – http://t.co/pXfQJPjy
The Parchin facility ThreatStream net has widened a bit and it is now streaming tweets about over a dozen additional Iranian nuclear facilities. Check it out here.
Rosen is the latest figure caught up in the “Assad emails” story. Exchanges (here and here) between Syrian officials referencing Rosen seem to indicate a relationship that some fear is at best a bit too cozy.
Twitter started buzzing overnight and many are weighing in. Rosen is a pretty divisive figure and that is evident in the early reactions to this story. It should be said that many journalists and national security types who routinely disagree with Rosen are taking a wait-and-see position on this. I think the best course of action at the moment is to sit back and watch this play out on the Nir Rosen Twitter monitor.
Carl Prine has fired off another defense of Rosen along with this translated statement from the “Revolutionary Council of Homs — Media Bureau”:
Fellow revolutionaries and media activists:
In the last few days, some rumors circulated regarding US journalist Nir Rosen, accusing him of being an agent for the Assad regime, because of his relationship with one of the regime’s agencies, which is due to the nature of his work. We believe that this matter should have not been dealt with before looking into the history of this journalist and checking with those who have dealt with him directly, as they would best know the details and necessities associated with the work of journalists. Therefore, we encourage all activists to avoid spreading unconfirmed rumors, especially those that may include accusations of treason. We refuse the mistreatment of Mr. Rosen, and we welcome him and any other independent journalists and invite them to Syria in any way possible to show the world the truth of what is going on, as long as they work professionally and with the highest degree of morals associated with their profession.
Rosen responds in a lengthy guest post on Carl Prine’s Line of Departure:
In Syria my articles have not been pro-regime or anti-regime. From the beginning opponents of the regime accused me of being its agent while supporters of the regime accused me of serving Qatar, Saudi Arabia or America. These are stupid accusations and I never lowered myself to respond to them before. My goal was to provide an anthropology of Syria’s descent into civil war so people could understand what is happening there. I am more proud of my work in Syria than anything I have previously done. It is a clear eyed account which does not idealize or romanticize anybody but while sober it is always empathetic.
Rosen’s only comment so far:
“The allegations about me are completely untrue. I will be responding in a longer format in 24 hours when I am back online so please wait”
I’ll link his response when it becomes available.