Terror mastermind Osama bin Laden plans a new video addressing the American people regarding the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, terror monitoring groups said Thursday.
SITE Intelligence Group said an Internet announcement of the plan included a photo of the al-Qaida leader from the upcoming video—his beard, which in previous messages had been streaked with gray, was entirely dark.
Intelcenter, which is based in Alexandria, Va., and also monitors Islamic Web sites, said the video was expected within the next 72 hours, or by Sunday. That would come before the sixth anniversary next Tuesday of the World Trade Center attack. The last bin Laden video was in October 2004, shortly before the U.S. presidential elections.
The Blotter has more:
Federal law enforcement authorities say that another Web site had posted a message on Sept. 2, promising “a special gift to be delivered on the blessed day of the invasion of Manhattan.”
We have no idea whether bin Laden is still alive and therefore no idea whether this tape will actually appear. It would appear to us that bin Laden, in order to maintain his credibility, would have wanted to appear more recently and frequently than he has. It is possible that security considerations have caused him to avoid videos or more frequent audios, or it might have been useful to maintain his mystique. It also is possible that he is dead.